DIY Divorce: Important Tips
DIY divorce can work if both parties are willing to cooperate and compromise. If you are lucky to have a spouse who is willing to undergo a peaceful divorce process, then this is for you:
- Be open with our spouse. As soon as you decide to want a divorce, start the discussion.
- Set clear goals. Decide which ones are you willing to keep, let go, or share.
- Be organized. Secure all necessary information and papers.
- Do your research. Be familiar with the divorce laws and process in your state, including fees, requirements, waiting periods, property laws, child custody and alimony, etc.
- Get help from an online divorce service. Make sure that the documents you have are admissible in court. These experts can help you.
- Be responsive. Act quickly if your spouse needs something from you to avoid complications.
- Honesty is always the best policy. If you try to hide anything or lie about something and get caught, you are more likely to end up delaying the divorce process.
- Be aware if there is a final hearing required. If there is, make sure you’d be there on time.