DIY Divorce: Is it for You?
DIY divorce is a very practical option, but it may or may not work for you. You may consider doing so if:
- You and your spouse have an open communication line.
- The amount of trust you have for each other is still quite reasonable.
- Both parties are willing to compromise.
- Budget is tight or you just want to save. Hiring a law firm is not cheap.
- You have the right attitude and temperament. The divorce process can be stressful and may trigger anxiety attacks and will test your patience.
- Avoiding the court. Most DIY divorce are done through paperwork but some may require to attend a final hearing.
- Not much assets to divide.
- Your spouse is not a threat to your or your children’s safety.